plan-international (www.plan-international.org) Job vacancy in Nairobi Kenya 2012
Child Rights & Gender Advisor
Based in Country Office
Plan is an international humanitarian child centered community development organization, without religious, political or government affiliation. Plan is committed to protecting and promoting child rights and to improving the lives and futures of poor children, their families and communities through a child-centered community development approach.
Plan is seeking to recruit a Child Rights & Gender Advisor.
The successful candidate will be required to promote child protection, gender inclusion and integration of children rights in Plan Kenya programs and with partners at national level as well as ensure effective child rights, child protection and gender strategies and initiatives that deliver expected outcomes in terms of right to inclusion and protection.
The position reports to the Strategic Program Support Manager.
The job holder will be expected to demonstrate the ability to problem solve, think strategically while introducing innovations as needed to meet the child protection and gender mainstreaming standards as well as coordinate the Inclusion and Protection program portfolio to ensure the highest level of project quality and overall impact.
This will encompass strengthening adherence to child protection and gender policies and procedures, and promoting a culture for delivery of results, both short and long term.
- Provide strategies for engagement with GOK and relevant departments at different levels (national, county, regional and international) on child protection and gender to ensure local-national linkages
- Offer strategic guidance and support in capacity assessment and capacity building of staff and partners to ensure understanding of Child Protection
- Enhance Plans participation in action research, M&E and reporting on child protection against relevant national and international human rights conventions
- Participate in the learning and analysis of child and gender responsive programs in Plan Kenya’s work to support cross learning and sharing
- Position papers and strategies to influence policy and practice
- Implement global and national advocacy campaign initiatives on child rights
- Represent Plan’s participation in international conventions to influence the development of international policies
Educational Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law or international human rights (preferred) or Development Studies, Gender & Development, Political Science or International Relations.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in Gender, Child Rights and Advocacy with National/ International NGO or other institutions.
- Experience in rights-based approaches to development including engaging with government and multilateral institution.
- Excellent analytical, synthesis and presentation skills
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills
- Strong planning and organising skills
- Strong lobbying, negotiation and advocacy skills
- Strong research and documentation skills
- Partnership building and networking skills
Plan Kenya is a development organization uniting people to advance the rights of all children.
Accordingly, employment is subject to our child protection standards including appropriate background checks and adherence to our Child Protection Policy.
How to Apply
If you meet the requirements for the above position and would like to be a part of our commitment to children, please send a detailed and updated curriculum vitae, current remuneration and contacts of three professional references, including that of your current/latest line manager to firstname.lastname@example.org to be received by latest 17th August 2012.
Your email (or envelope) should bear the job title of the position you are applying for that is, CHILD RIGHTS & GENDER ADVISOR – COUNTRY OFFICE (and not APPLICATION FOR CHILD RIGHTS & GENDER ADVISOR.
Kindly follow the link below for the job description
You are invited to read more about Plan in our website www.plan-international.org.
We regret that only short listed candidates will be contacted.